The brakes are extremely important parts for a vehicle. When a car uses carbon ceramic brakes (Carbon Ceramic), it will have many significant advantages compared to other types of brakes. However, the processes involved in producing carbon ceramic disc brakes seem to take a lot of time and the cost is very expensive.
Let's Thanh Phong Auto Learn more about carbon ceramic disc brakes and why they're so expensive.
Main Article Content
1. What is ceramic brake? Why make ceramic brake pads?
In fact, ceramic technology has very good hardness, it is even included in the list of one of the hardest technical materials in the world.
Technical ceramics are less likely to cause disc wear, less noise and brake wear. On the other hand, the ceramic structure can also help absorb vibrations at frequencies that humans can hear and sound very well.
You probably didn't know that ceramic brake discs are 4 times more durable than steel discs. Therefore, this type of disc brake has a great advantage that the vehicle owner does not seem to need to change the brake disc during the time of using the vehicle.
2. Concorde technology and magic
This technique is a prime example of the braking system when using carbon-carbon components (carbon fiber reinforced with graphite) in 1976.
While all the benefits of using carbon-carbon brakes are superior, there are still some drawbacks that make other materials a better alternative.
In cold or humid weather, carbon-carbon brakes may not work at their best, resulting in them no longer suitable for use on the road.
Furthermore, when carbon oxidizes at high temperatures they also cannot last long in this environment - thereby making some of the already high costly components even more expensive to maintain at home. right on the car.
A major turning point when combining ceramic and carbon to make brake discs
With the combination of most of the benefits of ceramic brakes and the development of carbon ceramic brakes. This disc brake can resist heat shock and increase oxidation, and make the disc brakes last longer. Most important is the handling of a wide range of temperatures.
3. Find out why the carbon ceramic disc is expensive?
Currently, carbon ceramic brakes are the best heat-resistant material, so they are used for high-performance cars.
Because all the manufacturing processes seem to take longer than a month with many complicated stages to create this type of brake disc, they are quite expensive.
- Before cooling, silicon and carbon-fiber plastic are put into molds and placed below 20.000kg at 200 degrees Celsius.
- Using a temperature of 1000 degrees C, people will heat this mold after two days, then it is heated 3 times with a temperature of up to 1700 degrees C for 24 hours before adding silicon powder - this time is the foot are not.
- For added durability and longevity, this process is transformed into the coarse walls surrounding the carbon fiber into silicon carbide ceramics.
With the combination of the two materials, it offers greater advantages compared to other brake discs such as:
- Can save weight significantly.
- The service life is much longer than other brake discs.
- Ceramic brake discs withstand higher temperatures than traditional steel brake discs.
- Can increase the power of brake torque better than steel brake discs.
However, to be able to take advantage of this "privilege", the average cost of upgrading per supercar is estimated to be about 10.000 - 15.000 pounds. On the other hand, they may not be able to prolong the life of the car if you bring them on the track.
Compared to other brake system tools, carbon materials have a much higher optimal operating temperature.
External carbon ceramic brakes have good braking ability, besides it also scores with the world of supercar players because of their eye-catching appearance. Possessing a high aesthetic and good performance, they gradually become an ideal product for luxury and sports car brands.
Today, carbon ceramic brakes have become more popular in the automotive world, although they were once extremely rare and were only for the so-called weirdest cars. Come to Thanh Phong Auto for advice on owning these extremely hot ceramic brakes for drivers!
See More Articles General Blog Or Thanh Phong: